So many of us adhere to the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” philosophy when it comes to our tooth and gum health. That could be the worst thing you can do and could lead to elevated dental problems down the line.
Your first line of defence starts with your dentist. Find a dental practitioner you trust and one who has time to answer the questions you should be asking along the way. Open lines of communication will allow you to feel confident talking with your dentist about any concerns that might come up. Alternatively, if your dentist knows that you are open to conversation, s/he might engage without you even having to ask!
Best Questions to Ask Your Dentist or Periodontist at Every Visit about your Dental Health
Here are some key questions that our experts at Periodontal Associates wish every client would ask:
- Is there anything you need from my medical doctor or anything I should tell them? Your dental health and overall personal health are connected. Changes to your dental health could point to another health issue. Your dentist can tell you what you should share with your doctor. Ideally your entire medical team are partners in your health care journey!
- Is there anything we can do now to protect my dental health? A proactive approach to your dental health is best. Your dentist should talk with you about your current habits and suggest small changes that can make a difference. Everything from oral hygiene tips to nutrition could be involved.
- What are your specific areas of specialization? Just like medical doctors, dentists are not all alike. Your dentist may have a specialty that could change the discussion. Our team at Periodontal Associates are experts in treating periodontal disease, which could include dental implants, frenectomy, gum grafting, crown lengthening and bone grafting… among many other services. You want the best team possible for your dental care.
- How often do you update your training? How do you ensure you are keeping up with advancements in the field? You want a dentist who is informed and up-to-date on the advancements in technology; especially if those advancements can save you time and discomfort. Ask your dentist how often s/he participates in seminars, trade shows or continuing education courses.
- What can I do to improve my oral health? Your dentist or periodontal expert might suggest a number of tips to improve your overall oral health, including using a prescription fluoridated toothpaste, getting dental sealants, implementing a hard night guard, tips on quitting smoking and implementing diet changes, among other ideas. Not every mouth is the same, so the recommendations should be customized to your unique situation.
We can’t guarantee that you will get the answers you want, but we can guarantee that by opening up the lines of communication, you have an greater risk of catching any abnormalities or problems early on.
If you suspect you might be at risk for periodontal disease, don’t delay… talk to your dentist or the experts at Periodontal Associates today about what you can do to care for your gums. They are the only gums that you have.
Contact us today if you have questions about Crown Lengthening, Gum Recession, Dental Implants or any other Periodontal Disease at 647-360-9742.