The perfect smile is a healthy ratio of teeth to gums—teeth at the perfect height and the right amount of gum tissue to support them. But if your smile looks “gummy” or the teeth appear much smaller or shorter compared to the amount of gum tissue, you may benefit from crown lengthening.
At Periodontal Associates, our team of highly qualified and experienced periodontists in Mississauga are dedicated to helping you achieve the perfect smile. We perform crown lengthening to remove excess gum tissue and give your smile the perfect height. Discover how we provide this life-changing cosmetic dentistry procedure, among dozens of periodontists.
What is crown lengthening?
A “gummy” smile is enough to make you feel self-conscious, often wishing that your teeth looked bigger or more proportional. But did you know that your teeth are most likely the proper length, and instead are just covered in gum tissue?
Crown lengthening is a basic cosmetic periodontal procedure that reshapes your gums and bone to expose more of your natural teeth. It can be performed on one or several teeth, or your entire gum line. This evens your gum line, making your teeth appear straight and uniform, for a beautiful smile.
Why You Need Crown Lengthening
Having a “gummy” smile where there’s more visible gum tissue than teeth is just one of the many ways that crown lengthening can enhance your smile. This cosmetic procedure also has a number of oral health benefits.
- Periodontal disease: Severe gum disease can cause damage to the teeth, such as trauma and decay. Damaged teeth can even fracture below the gum line. Crown lengthening can help correct this damage and prepare teeth for restoration.
- Cosmetic benefits: The most common reason for crown lengthening, cosmetic reasons such as excess gum tissue can make teeth appear unnaturally short and increase likelihood of periodontal infection. Crown lengthening can make your smile appear balanced and healthy.
- New dental crowns: Crown lengthening creates more space between the jawbone and teeth, preventing the new crowns from damaging the gums and bone.
How is crown lengthening performed? Our crown lengthening process
At Periodontal Associates, our periodontists are dedicated to enhancing your smile. With extensive training and experience in performing crown lengthening, we can ensure that the procedure will provide you with cosmetic and oral health benefits.
Your periodontist will confirm that you are a good candidate for crown lengthening. They will check to see if your gums, teeth, and surrounding structures are healthy. They will also determine the ideal new location of the gum line.
2. Surgical technique
Based on the amount of gum tissue and the health of your gums and teeth, your periodontist will recommend the most appropriate surgical technique. Generally, crown lengthening involves removing excess gum tissue and reshaping the gums and bone to establish a new gum line that exposes more of the teeth.
Key factors include:
- The desired appearance of your smile
- The length of the teeth’s roots compared to the crown, called the crown to root ratio
- The proximity and appearance of the root
- Any degree of bone loss
- The position of the affected teeth
- Whether you need a filling or cap.
3. Crown lengthening surgery
Once you are ready for your crown lengthening procedure, your periodontist will proceed with the recommended surgical technique. They will perform one of three methods to reshape your gum line:
- Gingivectomy: Removal of excess gum tissue using a scalpel, laser, or electrocautery
- Apically repositioned flap surgery: Uses an incision in the gums to create a flap of tissue that is lifted to remove excess gum tissue and bone and relocate the gum line
- Surgical extrusion: This moves the teeth to the desired location on the gum line when they are fractured underneath.
Once your crown lengthening procedure is complete, you will be able to go home for recovery. Your periodontist will provide detailed post-op care instructions, such as ensuring someone will bring you home once the anesthesia wears off. You may also be prescribed anti-inflammatory medication if necessary, as well as pain medication to manage discomfort and swelling. Lastly, keep to a soft diet while your gums continue to heal.
Why do you need a periodontist for crown lengthening?
The dentist is your first stop for any dental concerns. But when it comes to the health of your gums and the bones that support the teeth, you need a periodontist in Mississauga. Our team of periodontists at Periodontal Associates are fully equipped to perform successful crown lengthening procedures to enhance your smile.
How? It’s all thanks to their advanced training in periodontics. After dental school, periodontists train for another three years in a post-graduate specialization. They undergo advanced training in diagnosing and treating periodontal conditions, including performing oral surgery, such as crown lengthening procedures.
How much does crown lengthening cost?
Crown lengthening is a periodontal procedure that requires using specialized instruments to remove excess gum tissue, adjust the gum line, and repair damaged teeth, gums, and bone. Crown lengthening costs depend on the difficulty and number of teeth affected. It’s important to remember that crown lengthening is an investment in a better, beautiful smile and improved oral health.
Here are some factors that determine the cost of crown lengthening:
- Number of affected teeth: The biggest factor in crown lengthening costs is the number of teeth covered by excess gum tissue, and whether the entire gum line needs to be adjusted.
- Periodontal needs: Do you need crown lengthening for purely cosmetic reasons, or are there any underlying periodontal issues, such as damaged teeth below the gum line, that need to be addressed? This will determine the extent of the procedure and the surgical technique required.
- Insurance coverage: Most cosmetic dentistry procedures are typically not covered by dental insurance. However, if crown lengthening is required to address oral health concerns, the procedure may be covered.
- Periodontist: Choose a periodontist in Mississauga with the right training and experience required to perform crown lengthening. Make sure your periodontist is renowned, with a high success rate and satisfied patients.
Contact us for more information and to get a more accurate quote prior to proceeding with crown lengthening treatment.
What to look for when choosing a periodontist for crown lengthening? The Periodontal Associates Difference
You deserve to flash your most beautiful and healthy smile confidently. That’s why at Periodontal Associates, we’re dedicated to helping you address your biggest concerns, such as a “gummy smile.” Our board-certified periodontists are highly trained and experienced in oral surgery and specialize in performing crown lengthening procedures in Mississauga. Our goal is to enhance your smile while keeping it healthy, so you can eat, talk, and laugh with a smile that best suits you. Here’s how:
- Crown lengthening expertise: Our periodontists specialize in cosmetic procedures like crown lengthening, with attention to your broader oral health. We’re highly trained in oral surgery and dedicated to ensuring a smooth and successful procedure.
- Personalized treatment: At Periodontal Associates, we recognize that your oral health and aesthetic goals are unique. We develop a personalized treatment plan to adequately prepare for your crown lengthening procedure and ensure an optimal outcome.
- Affordable treatment: We aim to make crown lengthening accessible and affordable. We offer financing terms to help ease the cost of cosmetic treatments not covered by insurance.
- Convenient location: Periodontal Associates is close to Highway 403, making our state-of-the-art, well-equipped, and modern clinic accessible anywhere in Mississauga and across the GTA, so you can easily come in for your crown lengthening procedure.
Ready to reshape and enhance your smile? Get the smile you’ve always wanted with crown lengthening. Book a consultation with our periodontists in Mississauga to see how crown lengthening helps you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile.