The dental world doesn’t have to be confusing and remember, you are in charge of your dental care and next steps. Of course, your dental plan will also dictate how much you have to spend, but sometimes you can’t put a price on your dental health.
That said, if you are prone to extreme and/or chronic dental issues, you should consider seeking treatment with a periodontist expert, such as those at Periodontal Associates in Mississauga. According to perio.org, “a Periodontist is a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, and in the placement of dental implants. Periodontists are also experts in the treatment of oral inflammation. Periodontists receive extensive training in these areas, including three additional years of education beyond dental school.”
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, we recommend seeking out an experienced and professional periodontist to assess your oral health and provide treatment:
- Halitosis (Chronic Bad Breath): If you maintain good oral hygiene but still suffer from halitosis, this could be an early warning sign of gum disease.
- Bleeding Gums: If you experience chronic and unexplained bleeding while brushing or eating, this could indicate a potential gum disease.
- Loose Teeth or Receding Gums: If you notice that your teeth look a bit longer, or experience sensitivity on the gums due to exposed roots, you may be experiencing gum recession, which can signify gum disease. If left undiagnosed and untreated, you may notice that the gums pull away from the teeth, causing them to become loose. Address any changes with your dental team immediately.
The real lesson here is to identify and address any changes to your dental health. Letting embarrassment or shame keep you from seeking the advice of a periodontist can lead to greater problems down the road.
Why See A Periodontist? They Go Deep!
Beyond gum disease, periodontists can recommend and perform regular deep cleanings for those with deep periodontal pockets. This procedure differs from that a traditional dentist provides, as it includes scaling and root planning as required.
- Scaling: While your regular dental cleaning reaches and removes much of the plaque on the tooth’s surface, there are areas along and under the gums that are not easily reached with regular tooth brushing, flossing or regular dental cleanings.
- Root Planing: As the name suggests, this procedure involves cleaning the tooth roots using dental instruments or a laser. The goals is to remove rough spots where bacteria can collect and cleaning out existing bacteria to help avoid further issues.
If you are concerned about any oral health factors and want to take your dental care to the next level, we invite you to speak with our team of experts at Periodontal Associates.
Why See A Periodontist? Contact Us For More Info!
Your comfort matters to us, so we invite you to visit our periodontal practice in Mississauga and speak with our team of experts in periodontal disease. As experts in periodontal treatments, specializing in dental implants, gum recession, crown lengthening, bone and gum grafting, the Chao pinhole surgical technique and more, we’d love to help you address your dental and smile concerns. Call us at 1-800-341-7471 or connect via email at [email protected]. Until then…keep smiling!