Did you know that thanks to major scientific advances, we now have the ability to let bones regenerate? Growing bones back is one of the breakthrough methods of restoring your smile. With bone regeneration, you can regrow the jawbone tissue that has been damaged by periodontal disease.
If you’ve suffered from periodontal disease and lost volume in your jawbone, it’s a good time to talk to our certified and highly experienced periodontists in Mississauga. At Periodontal Associates, we’re dedicated to restoring and preserving your jawbone with the most advanced and highly successful treatments that improve your quality of life.
What is bone regeneration?
Bone regeneration is a state-of-the-art treatment for regrowing bone in parts of the jawbone that have deteriorated or weakened. It’s designed to restore the volume of your jawbone and protect your remaining teeth and soft tissues.
If you experience severe periodontal disease or have missing teeth, it’s likely that the roots of affected teeth are damaged or missing. Without roots anchored in the jawbone, your remaining teeth can drift to fill in the gaps. Bone regeneration prevents this by stimulating growth in the jawbone. This preserves the shape of your face and dental function.
Types of Bone Regeneration
Bone regeneration is typically recommended for two purposes: supporting the teeth and preparing for dental implants. In both cases, periodontists use another bone as a scaffold to regrow bone tissue where the jawbone has weakened.
- Bone regeneration for teeth: If your teeth have lost supporting bone and tissue, bone regeneration can help rebuild the lost bone. This keeps the teeth healthy for a long time.
- Bone regeneration for implants: The jawbone needs to be healthy and have enough bone density to support dental implants. Bone regeneration can strengthen a deteriorated jawbone so that you can receive dental implants. Your restored jawbone and implants will help you eat and talk like normal for years.
Why You Need Bone Regeneration
Do you need bone regeneration? During your visit to our periodontists in Mississauga, they will assess the health of your jawbone and look for signs of bone loss. Bone regeneration may be recommended if you have:
- Missing teeth: When left untreated, missing teeth can affect the structure of the jawbone. The jawbone needs constant stimulation through biting and chewing. The gaps left by missing teeth result in a lack of stimulation of the affected part of the jawbone, causing your remaining teeth to drift and your lower face to sag.
- Periodontal disease: Severe gum disease can cause the bacterial infection to reach the jawbone, causing extensive damage.
- Trauma: An injury to the mouth can fracture or knock off some teeth and even cause their position to shift. These can cause an infection that spreads to the jawbone, resulting in bone loss.
- Oral infection: Bacterial and viral infections and tumours in the mouth can spread to the jawbone, causing damage and bone loss.
How is bone regeneration performed? The Periodontal Associates Treatment Process
Bone regeneration is a single-procedure oral surgery performed by highly trained and experienced periodontists to preserve and restore your jawbone. At Periodontal Associates, our periodontists are dedicated to ensuring that you are a good candidate for bone regeneration, and the success of your procedure.
During your visit to our clinic in Mississauga, your periodontist will assess the condition of your jawbone. They will confirm if you need bone regeneration to stimulate growth and whether you are a good candidate. They may take x-rays, conduct a full periodontal exam, and review your dental and overall medical history.
2. Pre-op preparation
When you arrive for your bone regeneration procedure, your periodontist will place you under sedation and administer an anesthetic. This will keep you comfortable during the procedure.
3. Incision and graft
Your periodontist will create an incision along the affected part of the gumline to reach the jawbone. If the area is infected, your periodontist will remove the damaged bone and clean the area. Then, they will place a graft to stimulate the growth of the new bone structure, and cover it with a biocompatible material.
4. Stitching and growth
Once the graft is placed, your periodontist will suture your gums back in place. As the graft heals, it will grow and fuse with the existing jawbone. This results in one, regenerated jawbone structure.
Recovery from Bone Regeneration
Like any surgical procedure, bone regeneration requires recovery time to ensure proper healing and bone growth. Generally, it takes a few weeks to get back to your normal routine. During this time, you should:
- Limit physical activity
- Take painkillers as needed, and antibiotics as prescribed to manage mild swelling and discomfort
- Dress the regeneration site to keep it protected
- Stick to soft foods.
After the initial recovery, the jawbone should continue to regenerate over the next few months. Your periodontist will continue to monitor the healing progress. Once the regeneration is complete, they will schedule your dental implant procedure.
Why do you need a periodontist to perform bone regeneration?
The dentist is always your go-to for regular dental care. But when it comes to severe problems that affect key structures in the mouth, like the jawbone, you need a periodontist. They have the necessary skills and experience to perform advanced procedures like bone regeneration to restore the strength of your jawbone and prepare for further restorations like dental implants.
At Periodontal Associates, our team is composed of periodontists who have completed a three-year post-graduate program after dental school. This equips them with advanced training in specialized treatments like bone regeneration. From diagnosis to surgery and recovery, you can count on our periodontists to keep your jawbone healthy and ready for future treatments.
How much does bone regeneration cost?
Bone regeneration is a state-of-the-art, highly specialized oral surgery. It’s a major breakthrough in treating a deteriorated jawbone, providing many people with the chance to get dental implants afterwards, even if they were previously not good candidates. Bone regeneration is also a vital procedure for protecting affected teeth and preserving your facial structure.
This means that bone regeneration is an investment, determined by key factors based on your unique case:
- Extent of jawbone damage: How much bone needs regeneration depends on the size of the damage or deterioration of your jawbone. The larger the treatment area, the more work it takes to regenerate bone and restore a healthy jawbone.
- Dental insurance: Depending on your dental insurance plan, bone regeneration may be covered. However, the exact coverage amount will depend on your coverage limit. Ask your dental insurance provider if bone regeneration is part of your coverage.
- Periodontist: Ultimately, the success of your bone regeneration procedure depends on the skills and experience of your periodontist in Mississauga. Make sure to choose the right person for the job—a periodontist that specializes in bone regeneration, with high success rates and healthy patients.
Talk to your periodontist in Mississauga to learn more about how much bone regeneration costs. They can provide you with a more accurate quote based on your specific needs.
What to look for when choosing a periodontist for bone regeneration? The Periodontal Associates Difference
At Periodontal Associates, our team of periodontists are certified, highly skilled, and experienced. But more than that, we’re also looking towards the future of periodontal care with state-of-the-art treatments like bone regeneration. Our periodontists in Mississauga have trained extensively in this advanced technique, so we can provide you with the best possible outcome for restoring the health of your jawbone and ensuring you can benefit from further tooth restorations.
- Bone regeneration expertise: At Periodontal Associates, our periodontists specialize in the most advanced treatments for the jawbone, like bone regeneration. You can count on our knowledge and experience to ensure that you can benefit from this treatment.
- Personalized treatment: Our periodontists in Mississauga don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all treatment approach. We know your needs and health are unique. You can count on a bone regeneration treatment plan that meets your long-term goals for restorations like dental implants and improved quality of life.
- Affordable and accessible: Periodontal Associates is dedicated to making highly specialized treatments like bone regeneration available to more people in Mississauga. With insurance coverage and financing terms, we can help you get this essential treatment.
- Conveniently located, state-of-the-art clinic: Periodontal Associates is close to Highway 403 in Mississauga, with a welcoming environment designed to ensure your utmost comfort.
Do you want to explore the latest treatment for restoring the health of your jawbone? Learn more about the benefits of bone regeneration. Visit Periodontal Associates today.